Pittsburgh Chapter - American Guild of Organists
Pittsburgh Organ Academy
Level II: The Continuing Student
Level II of the Academy provides students with an opportunity for continuation of lessons from Level I. It also provides an opportunity for lessons for high school students with previous organ lessons outside of the Pittsburgh Organ Academy. Applications must be submitted no later than due date. See upcoming dates for current information
Auditions are typically held in late afternoon in May preceding the end-of-month regular monthly meeting of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the American Guild of Organists. Applications must be submitted no later than due date. See upcoming dates for current information. Auditions will be performed on the organ. No memorization is required.
Applications will be expected to perform the following:
- A repertoire piece that represents the students current ability.
- A simple four-part hymn (prepared) with pedal.
- Sight read a simple four-part hymn.
- Display written knowledge of music theory, including treble and bass clefs, major and minor key signatures, meter signatures, and basic triads.
A maximum of three students may be chosen for Level II awards, to receive:
- Twenty-four 45-minute lessons (taught on a pipe organ) from September to May with an organ teacher chosen by the Pittsburgh Organ academy.
- Student membership in the PIttsburgh Chapter of the American Guild of Organists, including a subscription to The American Organist magazine.
- Season tickets for the Organ Artists Series of Pittsburgh.
- An arrange med performance for Guild members at a spring meeting.
- Possible financial assistance (subject to the committee's discretion and the availability of funding) to attend a Pipe Organ Encounter (POE), a regional summer organ music institute sponsored by the American Guild of Organists.
Terms of Award:
The student agrees to provide all necessary materials (organ shoes, music, etc.) and to make arrangements for a practice organ. The student also agrees to provide transportation to the site of practice organ and lessons. The student commits to adequate preparation for lessons during the term of study. All lessons not completed by June 1 of the term granted will be forfeited.
Click here to print this page.
Pittsburgh Organ Academy Home
Level I Level II Level III Level IV
Support the POA
Pittsburgh AGO Home AGO National Headquarters